Hi Happy New Year and welcome to 2022. Have you made any New Years Resolutions? Or will you just continue as you are? Without doubt it’s been a very strange past 2 years and it bought the best and worst out in people. But how have you handled it? Have you made improvements to your life? Have you changed any dally routines to make you day run smoother?
This month That’s what I want to talk about. What we do to help ourselves! It all starts with you.
What do I mean by that, Well simply put. If you don’t like you or Love you how can you expect others to love or like you? Take a moment and step outside you. If you met you at a party or in a coffee shop would you spend time with yourself? Would you even bother to talk to you?
If you don’t even want to talk to you why would others want to? This is what we need to change. Each morning. You have to love who you see in the mirror. That person in that reflection has been with you every step of the way and needs to be shown some appreciation. So what can you do to help yourself? Well just by reading this you ae telling yourself you are up for change. So let me help.
Let’s start from the beginning. You don’t just happen to stumble upon the best version of yourself. You need to start from the beginning and take a high number of small steps in order to become what you envision. Just show up. Say you want to run a marathon, but have no prior experience. The first step is lacing up you shoes and hitting the pavement. Even if you only make it half a mile on your first training run, you’ll be about 2% closer to your ultimate goal than if you didn’t put in any work at all. Recognize that the best version of yourself should be your vision, not anybody else’s. Don’t waste energy trying to live up to what somebody else wants you to be. Stop looking for a secret trick. There is no miraculous shortcut to the better version of yourself. Are you still with me? Great. Let’s continue. Use Social Media to network. It’s never been easier to get in touch with influential and powerful people. Earlier in my career as a hypnotherapist, I reached out a very well known and well respected hypnotherapist. I asked him for advice about how to build my business, and not only did he reply with some helpful tips, he also connected me and we have become firm friends. Don’t sweat the details. Just make sure that you’re moving in the right general direction. You probably don’t have the knowledge you need today to know the shortest path to your happiness five years from today. But you probably have some idea about how to move in the right direction. Take those steps.
Recognise the opportunity at hand. The Internet has fundamentally changed everything. Previously, knowledge was locked away in the minds of industry experts and in the pages of books that you needed to buy or check out from a library. But now, it’s easier than ever to learn new skills. This is essential to becoming the best version of yourself. Don’t count the hours. They don’t matter. Think about the last time you ran on a treadmill. If you looked down at the timer every few seconds, you probably didn’t enjoy your run. In turn, this made it far more difficult to run far. But what if you took the opposite approach? You plugged in your headphones, lost yourself in the music, and took it one stride at a time….while resisting any temptation to look at the timer at all. If you did this, you probably discovered that you enjoyed the run and made it pretty far. Counting hours just slows you down from reaching your goal.
Accept help from other people. Don’t let your pride get in the way. Most successful people needed help along the way, too.
Some quick and helpful tips to help you become the you you want.
- Ignore the social media scoreboard. People depict an extremely exaggerated version of life on Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, and other social platforms. We only share the good things, not the bad. So when you compare yourself to what you see on social media, you’re just hurting yourself.
- Celebrate the small wins. Appreciating what you’re doing in the present gives you the motivation to keep making strides towards your ultimate goal.
- Stop pretending to know things you don’t know. You’ll never learn anything if you pretend to already know everything.
- Embrace failure. You can’t become the best version of yourself by playing it safe. Heck, getting fired could even be the best thing that ever happened to you.
- Call your family. This is just the decent thing to do. But you can also learn lessons from your family that aren’t available through any Google search and aren’t accessible to pretty much anyone else in the world.
- Exercise in the morning. Once I started doing this in the morning, I became far more focused and relaxed throughout the day. Science backs that up, too.
- Create a side project. Doing something productive outside of work that makes you happy helps you become a better version of yourself. So, whatever it is…an app, film, album, whatever….start doing it on your nights and weekends. And who knows? It might just turn into a full-time job that you love.
- Help other people become the best version of themselves. Pay it forward. Doing so keep you motivated on your own path, and you’ll find that the lasting connections you build from helping others will greatly benefit you moving forward. I do this on TikTok and the lovely comments I get still make me smile and makes me realise I’m making a difference to someone, and it doesn’t matter how small.
- If you’re not satisfied with the current version of yourself, then the quickest way to solve the problem is to begin working towards the better version today. There is no “right time” to get started.
It can be tempting to think about the best version of yourself as some intangible point in the future. You know, the one where you are:
- More successful
- Doing what you love
- Existing as an overall happier person
But if all you do is wait for the best version of yourself to happen, you’re forever going to be stuck with the current version. So, how do you launch the best version of yourself? Start making progress today.
Sometimes, you need to make a big change in order to unleash the best version of yourself. If one thought recently entered your mind, then it’s time to do it.
Until next month
Stay safe, Stay healthy
Jon Adkin BAHyp Clinical Hypnotherapist and IEMT Practitioner.
Find me on